RESOLUTION B4 - On Supporting Women in Astronomy
Proposed by: the EC WG IYA Task Group She is an Astronomer
Supported by: the EC WG Women in Astronomy
The following persons will be available for consultation and, if necessary to speak on the above resolution at the General Assembly on 13 August 2009:
The International Astronomical Union XXVII General Assembly,
1. the UN Millennium Development Goal 3: promote gender equality and empower women,
2. the IAU/UNESCO International Year of Astronomy 2009 goal 7: improve the gender-balanced representation of scientists at all levels and promote greater involvement by underrepresented minorities in scientific and engineering careers,
1. that individual excellence in science and astronomy is independent of gender,
2. that gender equality is a fundamental principle of human rights.
1. the role of the IAU Working Group for Women in Astronomy,
2. the role of the IYA2009 Cornerstone Project She is an Astronomer,
1. that IAU members should encourage and support the female astronomers in their communities,
2. that IAU members and National Representatives should encourage national organisations to break down barriers and ensure that men and women are given equal opportunities to pursue a successful career in astronomy at all levels and career steps.